Thursday, June 25, 2009

Death of a Legend? Perhaps...


Today, both Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died. (Even after all these years, I still want to call her Farrah Fawcett-Majors. Anyone else have that problem?)

Bob was teaching summer school today, so he didn't know until I emailed and told him about both. His reaction when I told him was, "Poor Farrah. Any other day and she'd have been huge news." And you know, he's right. She was all over the news until noon. Then because it's LA, we've had literally nonstop coverage of the mob outside UCLA, the mob outside Jackson's house, the mob at his star, the hysterical fans, everything. And the media. Oy - my favorite? The radio announcer who compared him to James Dean. Only in LA would they compare a 50 yo who had a huge impact on music 20 years ago to James Dean, who died in a tragic accident at the height of his popularity at age 24. The same 50 yo that 15 years ago, they were vilifying and calling a pedophile, today they were lauding and calling an icon, a musical hero, and a legend. Fickle much? No matter how you feel about him - love or hate him, you have to acknowledge the media's idiocy. Just sayin'.

Jeff's reaction? Priceless as you might imagine. "The kids can walk the streets again." Bless my child's heart. He really doesn't have any idea of the impact of Jackson on music, but still. Someone had to say it, LOL. And of course, it was Jeff. But you know we were all thinking it. C'mon - you were, too. Admit it.

Steve didn't know who Farrah Fawcett was, so I showed the kids the poster. Now THAT was something they could get behind. That was a truly sad and tragic story. Nobody should die that way. And she put up such a long fight. Cancer is just horrid. Which reminds me... you can still donate to my Relay for Life walk (see the link up on the right).

Anywho.... no matter that she starred in the amazingly excellent The Burning Bed in 1984 and from then on out was a "serious actress." She will always be the "poster girl" and "Jill Munroe" - Charlie's angel.

I guess I was showing my age, and not trying to be mean-spirited or anything, but when the news was reporting the deaths of 'two show business icons', all I could think was... Lucille Ball? Now she was an icon. I remember when she died. John Wayne? Icon. I remember when he died, too. They warranted the media coverage. And didn't get it like this. Michael Jackson? Yeah, not so much. Although I can see how he could be called one. But in my ancient mind, I guess I use the term for a different type of "legend."

But seriously, people. When Reagan died a few years ago, he didn't get this much coverage. I'm not kidding. What does that say about our culture? And how we raise our kids to honor the right types of people?


I choose to remember him this way.

7 comments:

  1. You know what is the first think I thought when I heard the news? That he faked his death to get out of trouble ^_^;

    It's sad for Farah :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given how seriously eff-ed up he was, MJ made it easy for us to forget what a HUGE star he was in the 1980s. Colossal. The real deal. And then he had to go and throw it all away by turning into a freak show. Kids today just don't have the same starting reference point. "Star" to them means whoever the latest American Idol is. Blergh.

    I'd also like to mention that Michael was "normal" until Berry Gordy moved Motown from Detroit to L.A. Just sayin'.

    You know what I first thought when I heard about Farrah. That I hoped her passing would spur Ryan O'Neal and their son Redmond to finally get their shit together. Sadly, I have my doubts. At least she's not in pain anymore. Nobody should die like she did. Cancer is a very ugly thing.

    And I almost posted the Poster Shot on my blog, but I'm kind of a sucker for the Farrah On Skateboard Shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, it's funny. Cause as soon as I saw the skateboard shot I remembered it's on the wall of Skatelab-a place both boys have frequented in their day. So I pulled up that shot for them and they immediately recognized it. I believe the first words were, "Shewas 62?Damn." LOL. I had to explain the pic was taken 30 or 35 years ago. Steve especially couldn't believe anyone that old could be that hot. LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nath... So young to be so cynical. Tsk tsk

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny about showing that poster to your kids. I just can't wrap my head around it - would it be like looking at pictures of Bettie Davis when I was a kid?

    So sad about both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, not cynical... realistic :) What can I say, it's our society nowadays :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. CJ - that's just... squicky. Maybe Rita Hayworth? They were the same age. At least Rita was hot. And thanks for making me realize just how freakin' old I am, LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some estrogen love here... pretty please?